THIS ACTUALLY WORKS!!!
First of all, big thanks to the people over at www.egopoly.com for finding this gem. I had been searching for countless time for a way to completely remove MYSQL from my apple computer that is running snow leopard or OSX 10.6X.
I found multiple solutions that do most of the work, but missing one crucial step that www.egopoly.com was able to grasp. So, I figured I would quickly combine the two for a short, easy reference.
To completely remove MYSQL from your mac running osx 10.6 (snow leopard) perform the following tasks in TERMINAL:
sudo rm /usr/local/mysql sudo rm -rf /usr/local/mysql* sudo rm -rf /Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM sudo rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/My* (Edit /etc/hostconfig) sudo vi /etc/hostconfig (Remove line MYSQLCOM=-YES) sudo rm -rf /Library/Reciepts/mysql* sudo rm -rf /Library/Reciepts/MySQL* sudo rm -rf /var/db/receipts/com.mysql.mysql*
*the very last line is the egopoly.com hack
After executing these commands in terminal (which you can just copy and paste, hit return and go…), I would suggest restarting your mac. After reboot, MYSQL will be completely removed from your mac.
Hope you found this helpful and thanks to forums.mysql.com and www.egopoly.com for the inspiration. I tried to thank them on their blog but the entry was closed to posts. So, this is my thank you!
So, here is my boring story behind it. I was re-installing MYSQL on my mac and just kept running into problem after problem. It would install but fail to execute. I navigate to the MYSQL preference pane and click Start MYSQL and nothing would happen. So, I was probably downloading the wrong versions of it from the dev.mysql.com website. I finally found an older version that I wanted to install, but the installer kept failing. Saying that there was a newer version of MYSQL on the computer and that it couldn’t continue.
I then enabled hidden files to show in finder, went into /usr/local/mysql and deleted everything there. Rebooted and got the same error on install. And I would keep getting a pop up at startup telling me that the MYSQL engine failed to start because I didn’t have sufficient permissions. This was getting real frustrating at this point. I had tried the first lines of code mentioned above that were what my search results were returning, but to no avail.
Somehow I managed upon www.egopoly.com, I forgot what my exact search query was. And there it was… the answer to it all. I added the egopoly line on to the end of the one I got off of forums.mysql.com, ran it in terminal as mentioned above. I went to install the earlier version of MYSQL again and SUCCESS! I really couldn’t believe it. So, hopefully this will help you and you will spend less time searching.
Please visit their site and feel free to comment here if you like.